Lighter Bacon Cheddar Chive Biscuits
Growing up I loved biscuits, especially the kind that comes in the roll. Not to say I don't still love those, but fresh or homemade biscuits can make my day. This past summer while road tripping through the Appalachian Mountains, we stopped in Asheville, NC for a night (highly recommend - you can read more about it here), and had amazing biscuits with our brunch. I heard that biscuits are complimentary with every breakfast in Asheville. Can we make that a thing here in New England, please?? Below is my recreation of the savory biscuits I love. These are a lighter and gluten-free version.
A few recipe notes:
I used sour cream but plain greek yogurt would work as well.
I haven’t substituted other flours, but let me know if you do!
These are an EASY and healthy breakfast solution made with shelf-stable ingredients (other than chives, those go fast). You can also pack these for work and microwave them!
1/3 cup sour cream OR plain greek yogurt
1 tablespoon liquid coconut oil
1 tablespoon softened butter - I love Kerry Gold
2 cups GF oat flour - I blend oats into a flour in my Nutribullet
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
2 strips of bacon but into bits - try turkey bacon too!
1 tablespoon chopped chives
1/4-1/3 cup cheddar cheese (to preference)
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or grease the sheet.
3. Let bacon cook while mixing the other ingredients. Cook to your preference, either in a frying pan or in the oven. Break into bits once cooled and set aside.
4. Mix wet ingredients (eggs, sour cream OR Greek yogurt, coconut oil and butter).
5. Add dry ingredients into the wet mixture (adding in oat flour, baking powder, salt garlic powder and onion powder).
6. Mix until combined.
7. Mix in chives, bacon bits and cheddar cheese.
8. Form into biscuits and place them on the baking sheet.
9. Bake for 20 mins, testing at 15 minutes.